Last night I experienced my scariest kitchen adventure ever while making potato and leek soup. I turned the heat on high (a mistake, I know, but I have an electric stove and it seems like it takes forever). I guess I am not used to how fast my new stove heats, though. After a minute, I threw in the butter and I was getting the onions ready when I turned around and FLAMES SHOT UP FROM THE POT AND WERE SO INTENSE. I panicked, naturally. My first thought was that I needed to turn the stove off but then also that I needed to get that flaming pot off the stove top. Electric stoves don’t cool down very quickly! So I turned it off and used a towel to take the pot from the stove to the floor. Well that was my second mistake. I wasn’t thinking about what that hot pot would do to our brand-new floor 😞 I searched frantically for our fire extinguisher but it wasn’t in the dining room like I thought. (Actually, it was, way on top of the shelf, but I didn’t notice this until it was all over.) Not knowing what to do to get the fire to stop, I took to wetting wash cloths and tossing them, open, over the flames, hoping they would smother the fire. Throwing just water on it did NOT work - it only made flames spark up a bit more. Finally, after the flames had mostly died out, I picked up the pot and brought it outside. My kitchen was filled with smoke and the smoke alarm went off. Then I noticed my brand-new floor, charred. I sobbed, shaking, felt like I might puke or pass out or cause my sinuses to burst (I’m battling a cold of some kind, so crying is particularly painful right now). I felt so disappointed in what I had done, how I had let it happen and how I had burnt my@l new floor in the process. But I was so glad it wasn’t worse than that. It could’ve ended up being my whole kitchen or even my whole house! Afterward, once I had calmed down, I discovered that the best course of action, aside from finding my fire extinguisher, would’ve probably been to throw a lid on top of it, to smother the flames. Can’t believe I didn’t think of that but now I’m passing that life too along to you all. When flames fly from the pot, put a darn lid on it.