I hope by now that you have all heard about the fires in the Amazon rainforest, as well as the massive impact that it will have not only on ourselves, but also on our planet Earth and the many different species we share it with.
The Amazon rainforest provides us with about 20% of the Earth’s oxygen, and is sometimes referred to as the lungs of our planet. The loss is going to be difficult to recover from, and it is going to have a substantial impact on the already critical existing problem of climate change.
Here are some things we can all do to reduce our environmental footprint:
🍽Reduce/eliminate meat consumption (especially beef)
- Animal agriculture significantly contributes to deforestation, requiring extensive use of land, water, and energy sources
- Did you know that it takes about 10 lbs of grain to produce just 1 lb of meat?
- Consider how much more land is needed to feed someone who eats a meat-based compared to a plant-based diet
- Even reducing your daily/weekly intake can help
👜Be a conscious consumer
- Consumerism is a leading contributor to climate change, from merchandise production, packaging, transportation, to eventual waste, but we all have the power to create change by reducing demand
- Many of us, including myself, are guilty of spending money on products we don’t really need, and it adds up
🚍Pay attention to how you travel
- Transportation, although often unavoidable, is another leading cause of greenhouse emissions, but we can do our best to carpool, use public transport, and minimize plane travel when possible
♻️Recycle & compost!
- Please don’t litter, and always dispose of your recyclables and food items in the correct receptacles to minimize the waste that can end up in landfills and the ocean
The climate is changing very rapidly, and we must do the same. We need to do our part to change with it in order to protect the planet that provides us with our air, food, water, and land. Every small change makes a difference. Are you doing your part?
#savetheplanet #bethechange #climatechange #vegan #vegans #activism #amazon #amazonrainforest #earth #govegan #saveourplanet #environment